Monday, January 30, 2012

Vacation of a Different Sort

Last week I was on vacation.  I decided to do an experiment and do something for myself that I've never done before. I took a break from my diet and exercise and I didn't beat myself up about it.  Well, not as much as I normally would.

I've battled an eating disorder over half my life and what a battle it has been. One wrong food choice and the next hours are spent beating yourself up over it and trying to figure out how to "correct the mistake."   There were days when I struggled to watch TV because one McDonald's commercial and I was planning my next binge/purge.  One exercise commercial and I planned how I could "bounce back" from my most recent binge/purge.  Only in the past six months or so have I been able to finally take control from the eating disorder. This vacation was a huge challenge for me. Could I be kind and understanding  and loving and compassionate to myself about taking a week off total healthy eating and exercise?

Well, I did better than I thought I would, but there were still some difficult moments. It was nice to splurge and not think about calories or protein intake all day long.  Actually, today was the toughest for me.  Going back to work wasn't difficult, but the not snacking all day long was difficult.  When the urge to snack started, that's when I started being hard on myself. 

I need to get back on track with my journaling, meditating and yoga.  And I REALLY need to get back on track with my exercising.  This winter has kicked my butt!  All I want to do is eat and sleep.  I never have the energy to exercise. 

How are you able to be kind to yourself during the rough moments?

Until Next Time,

No comments:

Post a Comment