Friday, January 27, 2012

I'd Rather Be A Nerd Than One of the Herd

One of my all time favorite quotes is "I'd rather be a nerd than one of the herd."  It was posted by the fabulous The Single Woman.  I read this quote at a time when I was struggling to learn who I was.  I really battled accepting who I am because I'm not like others in many ways.  It just took me a while to realize that it's a blessing! 

This quote spoke to me again last night.  I was downstairs playing Mah Jong and updating my phone.  Hannah and her boyfriend Justin came back from dinner.  After asking what I was doing, she rubbed my back and said "you do realize your 26 right?"  Actually I'm 27, but who's counting?  Hannah, though only 17, is much more fun than me.  She's the free spirited life of the party.  Young, hip and knows how to shake her booty.  Me - I'm cautious, safe, conservative.  I rarely drink, never go to bars and get injured anytime I try and dance.  And don't even get me started on talking to guys - It's one painfully awkward moment after another. 

But here's the thing - I LOVE who I am!  It took a lot of work to get where I am today.  I watch episodes of The Big Bang Theory over and over.  I would much rather have a quite night at home than dinner at some fancy restaurant.  One of my life goals is to visit every ballpark in America (seriously how am I single?).  The point is I am perfectly comfortable being me. 

Never forget that you, just as you are, are enough.

Until Next Time,

No comments:

Post a Comment