Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Opposites Attract

Let me start this by saying that I love my family dearly.  But these people sure know how to drive a girl out of her mind crazy!

Though I am the middle of 5 children, I was pretty much raised as an only child.  I guess I should also go ahead and mention that I am a neat freak.  I am a Type A personality with OCD.  I make lists of lists that need to be made, I line everything up perfectly on my desk, I live my life in a very well calculated routine. Boring to some, comfortable to me.  I was also NOT born with the sharing gene (a.k.a. spoiled).  I used to break toys instead of sharing them.  Over the years I have learned to share, but there are limits.  

Now let me explain my family - they are the complete opposite of me.  Amazing, compassionate and loving human beings, always dressed to the nines and the life of the party. But they are not the most organized bunch (they would say this about themselves as well). 

After 4 years of all living under the same roof, I still cannot get them to line the shampoo and conditioner bottles up in color coded order or place the towels in certain spots (no matter how many times I explain that every towel has a purpose).  I fold my trash up before placing it in the trash, they will leave theirs on the counter.  I recently educated them on my routine for drying off when I get out of the shower.  I think for a while they wanted to have me committed. 

That being said, life doesn't always give you exactly what you want.  Would I be happy if they cleaned and organized more?  Absolutely.  But they would also probably be thrilled if I was a little less controlling and a little more fun.  OK, a lot more fun!  I may pray for a clean and organized man, but I'm not going to turn down Mr. Right because he doesn't realize that you have to use a coaster. 

Don't turn down an opportunity or person because they don't appear exactly as you wish they were.  You never know who or what lies behind each and every opportunity. 

Until Next Time,

No comments:

Post a Comment